Tuesday, October 2, 2018

History: Network Era #1


As I was beginning to view the first episode of UnReal, just like any other person in the world before approaching a new program, I had a preconceived notion that it was going to be shit. We were talking about the network era and all the societal injustice of excluding woman that had been filling our television screens. The only saving grace for the program was that I know Professor Sukhan has a good taste in television and film, with an even better thought behind it. Can you blame me though for feeling this way about television?  I am a young woman, growing up in this consumer society that has conditioned audiences to prepare themselves for television without substance, just another script that would go through one ear and out the other. 
Image result for unreal showThis changed though as the show continued. 5 minutes later into the screening, and I still am the young woman I was when I started watching it, but I felt represented. There was women, and all different archetypes of woman. Not just your “bitchy boss lady” or “shy girl next door.” Women with real problems and real aspirations. UnReal showed what it wanted to do from the beginning of the episode and I believe this show is the step in the right direction.
Lifetime is based off the foundation of women. They have used this as an identity for their television network, but it has not always been the most supportive for the female demographic. The intentions of the network were positive, but the gruelling mindset of needing to produce riches and clout, it sold out to commercialization. As a young woman now, I view Lifetime network in a different perspective than I believe it would want. It has a stereotype of being cheesy, weak writing quality, and just all-around lame television shows. 
So, this is why I believe UnReal may be the sign of a shift in television, especially for the network itself. UnReal displayed women of colour, women in authority, women addressing their mental health concerns, women on probation, and of course many, many single women. Sure, television gets graced with one of these types of women sometimes, but for all of them to be included in one program? I’m shocked! Women were talking about sex or were swearing every other word. Minority representation in television is a major issue, sometimes I do not think people understand how seeing a female leader in that afterschool special can really change your life and the view in which we view ourselves. 
UnReal made me feel important. There are so many other women in this world facing similar issues and this is where television is able to bring us together. Our society is becoming aware of this need for understanding each other and as the people start to pick up on this, so do the networks. I believe that most people have to realize that change in this world is inevitable and just because one thing is in place, that does not mean it should stay that way or become tradition. As our social landscape is changing through discourse, pop culture, current events - the content we are feeding on from the media needs to display some realistic representation. UnReal may be the start of Lifetime providing people with that programming that will encourage and inspire women to go out into this doggy dog world and say “Fuck it, I am going to embrace being a woman today.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment